Back to News
More carers invited to book their COVID vaccine
Posted on 17 Mar 2021
Unpaid carers in Coventry and Warwickshire are being asked to book their coronavirus vaccination.
Carers in receipt of Carer’s Allowance and those registered as a carer with their GP were the first to be asked to book their vaccination as part of the phased roll out of the vaccine to carers which began two weeks ago.
Now, it is the turn of people who are:
- receiving support following a carer’s assessment by their local council or who are known to a local carer’s organisation,
- those who are the sole or primary carer(s) who provide close personal care or face to face support for an elderly or disabled person who is clinically vulnerable to COVID-19 are also being called forward to book their vaccine.
It is estimated that there are around 64,000 unpaid carers in Coventry and Warwickshire and this group are being urged to get their vaccine by booking it online Book a coronavirus vaccination - NHS (www.nhs.uk) or by calling 119. They will have the option of having their vaccine at the Large Vaccination Centre at Stoneleigh or at a handful of local community pharmacies.
People who are clinically vulnerable to COVID-19 should already have had their vaccination so their carers will know who they are, however this group includes carers for:
- children over the age of 12 with severe neuro-disabilities who tend to get recurrent respiratory tract infections and who frequently spend time in specialised residential care settings for children with complex needs;
- Those who are designated Clinically Extremely Vulnerable (CEV);
- Adults who have underlying health conditions (as defined in table 3 of the Green Book which includes adults over 16 on the GP Learning Disability Register); and those who need care because of advanced age (over 65)
Carers can contact the National Booking Service at www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination or by ringing 119 to complete a short application process to determine if they are eligible to book their vaccination appointment.
People must be over 18 to book using the national booking service and you will need to provide your name, date of birth and your NHS number.
Carers aged between 16-18 will be contacted by their GP for a vaccine.